Baked crispy falafel is still crunchy on the outside and delicious on the inside. Try this recipe with Tahini sauce. Also falafel can be served alone and is often accompanied by hummus, baba ghannouj, fresh pita bread, fries, and a salad. Or at this case with Tahini Sauce .
- 1 onion
- cooked chickpeas (2 x 400g cans)
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 cup fresh coriander
- 4 garlic cloves to taste
- 2 tbsp whole-wheat flour
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp olive oil + extra for baking
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 250°C / 480° F.
- In a food processor, blend the onion until chopped. Add the rest of the ingredients, leaving out the flour and olive oil. Blend again until you get a smooth mixture, but not too smooth to avoid turning it into a puree.
- Add the flour and olive oil and blend these with the mixture as well.
- With your hands form the patties to the desired size and place each one on a large sheet of non-stick baking paper. Make sure to spray/brush the paper with olive oil before you place them on it.
- Once all the patties are done, spray them all with olive oil sprayer or brush each one with olive oil to ensure they turn out brown and crispy in the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
Tahini Sauce recipe
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup well-stirred tahini (Middle Eastern sesame paste)
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Mince garlic, then mash to a paste with sea salt. Whisk together garlic paste and remaining ingredients until combined well.